Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ashram Life



Okay. So I am not really being very silent here. (are you surprised?). I have totally broken my own rules and have let my mind wander, laughed out loud in mediation class (not my fault, this funny irish guy was mocking the chanting), and of course, made heaps of friends. Despite all this, inner peace is coming along quite nicely…… : )

Oleksiy, a Ukrainian ex banker now well experienced in yogi life, refers to the Sivananda ashram as the “club med” of ashrams. In the large complex are gorgeous palm trees, trimmed hedges, small temples, and shiny happy people everywhere. People come from all over the world to dedicate a few weeks of their world wide vacation to find themselves. But thankfully, only a few of the people here are the traditional tree hugging hairy armpit new age type (reminiscent of my “mediation through movement” experience in Bali -see http://www.traveljournals.net/stories/21666.html). Most people were just like me..a curious traveler who wants to know what the ashram life is all about.

It’s hard to explain all that goes on here but I will do my best my giving you “A day in the life of...”

5:20am: Wake up Bells. Oh God, ack...Is this an ungodly hour or godly? It’s still dark out and I felt like I only slept two minutes again. I stretch and get up. Whatever girl was supposed to share a room with me never showed up so my only roommate is a small lizard I have named Siva. He’s great company and never hogs the bathroom.

6:00am: Satsang (Mediation and chanting. Welcome to my personal hell. Legs crossed I try to focus the mind…..ohh…...there she goes…..slow down...come back…crap we are only 10 minutes into it and my left leg is cramping. Now it fell asleep..great...now it’s in the other leg. Hmm...will anyone notice if I shift slightly? I secretly half open my eyes...how is everyone else so still?! I try to focus again...breathe breathe..don’t think about the new hot yogi that just arrived...of course now that’s all I think about. After 30 minutes of silence the chanting starts. Some of the chant leaders sing so beautifully I get chills. Others are tone deaf. (Theyr eally shouldn;t be allowed to sing, but you know the ashram is "inclusive.") Regardless of any wincing, I echo their words in unison with the group. I can now sing words like “Purnamevashishyate” and “Trayambakam” without wondering why Hindus prefer words with at least 4-5 syllables.

8:00am Asana (yoga poses). There are two classes—beginner and intermediate. Naturally I am intermediate, right? I mean I have done a few classes at home. On the first day I wander into the class a bit late (chatting with some new English friends) and notice with alarm that no one appears to be my version of intermediate! They are all doing strange poses in the names of exotic creatures I have not even heard of (plumed pangolin, anyone?) and seeming to balance on their tongues. Sigh. One of the helpers encourages me to “at least” try a "measly" headstand. “It will only take you a few days to get it", he says. I attempt. He quickly changes his mind, "Hmm..or for you...perhaps a week.” I have become the class project.

10:00am Meal. Okay—so there are two meals a day. There isn’t a distinction between breakfast or lunch. They are similar. Rice or dhosa, vegetable curry (2-3 kinds per meal), salad, chutney, yogurt. The tricky part is not the food (it’s actually really good), it’s the act of eating the meal. We sit on the ground on mats cross legged. We have no silverware. In hindu culture you only eat with your right hand. For those that know me, you understand that I have NO hand eye coordination. So imagine me sitting with both legs (asleep) underneath me, trying to scoop curry and yogurt in my right hand without spilling all over myself. Yup. Good times. I think they don’t allow us spoons because the ashram swajmis need some entertainment. That would be me and the poor left handers.

11:00am Karma Yoga or selfless service. Everyone is given different jobs to do to keep the ashram running. Hindus (or just good people) should practice karma yoga in everyday life..giving selflessly without thinking of reward. Hmm...I kindof feel that listening to some of the off key chanters is doing karma yoga but I am given a task anyway.

12:30 Asana coaching. An optional class for help with certain postures. The coaching there moved me from headstand to scorpion in days. I think there is something magical here....all the positive energy makes anything possible. (So maybe the new hot yogi will decide NOT to dedicate his life to celibacy?? Hmmm.....).

1:30 Tea time. It’s chai! Yummy yummy warm sugary sweet chai. We all sit around chatting about our travels and interesting aryuvedic massage experiences (this will have to be a separate post--it involves an Areola rub down).

2:00pm Lecture. We learn about love and happiness and devotion and of course must chant some more. “Om namo narayanaya…..” This chant is permanantly stuck in everyone's head in the ashram. I think my little lizard Siva is even singing it.

3:30pm Asana class again. My stomach turned soft from Vietnam mystery meat starts to harden again. 4-5 hours of yoga a day does wonders. As I no longer worry about poses, I pick up another problem. A stinky smell. Now, I do not want to name names here (or country of origin) but some people really do not think hygiene is important. In the southern Indian heat I shower 2-3 times a day. However it’s only required to bathe once a week before our temple ceremony. That means if you wanted to be a Peppy Le Pew...you could get away with only 1 shower a week. Monsieur Peppy seems insistent on sitting by me in Asana class. I have such a hard time maintaining balance with the stale smell coming into my nostrils. Sigh. This must be another version of karma yoga (selfish service #3).

6:00 Meal. More vegetables and rice (repeat of breakfast that they tried to make look different by adding a papadum. Not fooling me...) and severe concentration trying not to spill on my newly purchased “om” t shirt..I accidently bend over to far and flash a swajami sitting behind me my pink underwear. I get reprimanded. My friends to the side of me laugh out their rice.

8:00 Satsang. It’s really not fair to have two hells in one day (especially since we start EVERY activity with chanting and silence). I resume my dedication to not think about any of the things I really want to think about. Ho hum ho hum...not thinking....not thinking....but chocolate would be really nice right now....

10:30 Lights out. Just another day....

1 comment:

heathre said...

sounds very interesting...ok, we have to go on a yoga/surf retreat when you return from your adventures :)